Sunday, October 12, 2014

Planting Ahead for Hope

The temperatures are dropping here so we had to get on planting our bulbs for the spring time. It felt like such a sacred ritual. Liam and I did it together the other afternoon. I dug the holes, and he put the bulbs in and said "nigh night little babies, sleep good, see you in the spring" and then we covered them up with their blankets of dirt to rest until the snow is gone and spring has come. 
It is funny to do something in preparation of something seemingly so far off. I had debated wether or not to do it this year. It seemed maybe my money and time would be better spent on other things right now. But then I remembered how badly I would want, or no, NEED that little bit of hope and peeking of green come April. So I bought my crocus, daffodils, tulips and allium, and set them in the ground for that gloomy day ahead. It has made me think a lot about what I am filling my mind and heart with these days. That even on good days I need to be planting roots, and laying down seeds with words and thoughts that will ground deep and bring me hope on dark gloomy days when I really need it. So often in my life in good times, surrounded by green,  I have abandoned planting, not thinking ahead. I love that the seasons remind me to live my life intentionally, enjoying the time I'm in but intentionally planning ahead anticipating the seasons to come. 










No comments:

Post a Comment